Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Trip to DC with Papa John & 'Amma

While my parents were here, we made a quick trip to DC. It is only four hours away, and my mom and I have never been. We knew that taking Karis would not allow us to see everything, but we were excited to go anyway. Our trip was wonderful, and we had a great time together. I will let the pictures tell about our trip.

When arrived in DC about 2:30 on Tuesday afternoon. We put Karis in the stroller and started on our way. My mom and I took into the building that contains all the important United States documents (Declaration of Independence, Constitution, etc.), but it was not very stroller friendly so we decided it would be something to see at a better time, when Karis is older. We then went to the Art Park, which is where my parents and Karis are in this picture. Karis got to throw pennies in the water.

We then made the long trek past the Washington monument to the WWII monument, which is fairly new. Karis and I are standing in front of the water. It was hard explaining to a two year old that you couldn't throw money into this water. The monument was beautiful and very much depicted the what WWII was about.

Next, we went to the Vietnam Wall Memorial. My dad served in Vietnam, so it was very special to take a picture of him standing by the wall. Because the time was running out on our meter, we had to rush back to our car, which was clear on the other side of the "mall."


On our way back, Karis must have been really tuckered out, she fell asleep in her stroller. She has never done that. It was probably about a two mile walk back, so she got a little nap before we headed to our hotel.

The next morning we parked, and went back by the Washington Monument to head back to the Lincoln Memorial. We didn't have time yesterday to see it. Karis is walking on the stone wall that goes all the way around the Monument. It was really cute seeing her dance to the music being played by an orchestra especially since she was almost as tall as me.

My mom, Karis, and I walked up the stairs to the Lincoln Memorial. She was okay with it until I took her a little closer to take her picture. She said "Lincoln too big." She then preceded to tell my dad that she "took picture with Lincoln." Here my parents are sitting with her outside the Lincoln Memorial.
It was a special trip, and we had lots of fun. Karis learned that George W. Bush lives in the White House. My parents visit with us was wonderful. I love having them around because they love playing with Karis. I love being able to just hang out with them. Thank you for coming. I know it is a hard trip. We love and miss you very much.

1 comment:

laura said...

sounds like fun with the family! i'm glad you got to go to the capital since you are THE history buff! i wish i had appreciated it more when i went in the 8th grade with school. i was just mad we had to wear tennis shoes with our dresses. i felt like a dork. (but so did everyone else) and in the 8th grade that matters way too much! seeing the picture of papa john at the memorial made me tear up- he looks so proud. and he should be! i just love your parents- i need to borrow them while i'm here and your there, alright??