Thursday, February 15, 2007

Modesty

This picture was taken when we lived at the Dale's home. Karis is sporting Carol's scarf. She looks pretty "girlie" to me!
As I was looking back through pictures of Karis, I was struck by how she dresses so much like her mom. I know that is because I am the one who dresses her and buys her clothes. Raising a daughter in this world is a joy and priviledge. Part of that is teaching her how to be modest and feminine at the same time. I know that Karis is only two years old, but I pray that I am already instilling in her the idea of modesty even in how she dresses now. I also pray that my clothes would be a reflection of Christ at all times. Our daughters are looking to us to lead them in the direction of Christ in all areas of our lives, especially in how we dress and carry ourselves. More discussion on this topic to come at a later date. I challenge us as moms to really look at how we dress and to evaluate if God would be pleased with us, and if not, what should we do to change it?

5 comments:

Courtney said...

It's refreshing to hear moms want to install modesty in their children. I worry about Andrew walking down the mall with me when he's older and seeing pictures of half naked women (Victoria's Secret) displayed in the windows. Or worse, seeing the young girls scantily dressed. It will be a challenge to teach not only young girls how to dress, but also young boys how to avert their eyes when they encounter unmodesty in this world.

The Taras' said...

I'd like to add to what Courtney said...and teach our boys to not desire a girl who dresses that way. Teaching them to desire a godly wife! (I dont have a boy...but maybe some day!)

Anonymous said...

Jeanna,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I know that I don't have any daughter to dress or buy her clothes, but I do 3 dogs and a kittycat.

As a church member of Christ Baptist Church of Wilson, I do believe it is very important for us to dress modesty and want other to see how other should be dressed in modesty way. We should always show other who aren't our kids to lead them in modesty way. My heart does break when I see someone not dress properly to guard boys/men heart. Way to go to show Karis how to dress. Can I keep Karis? She is so sweet and special.
Eating His Word,
BoldLion

Lori said...

It will only become more difficult as Hannah and Karis get older. It is unfortunate that department and clothing stores do not offer a wide variety of clothing options but give in soley to the current trends. I pray that we will always be willing to say NOMD (Not on My Daughter--haha)!

I pray that we will encourage one another as we train up our daughters to carry themselves in a modest way as well. We live in a society where it is acceptable and vogue to be forward, alluring, and seductive. As mothers of daughters, it is our responsibility to teach our girls to be discreet and chaste. I am blessed by your like-mindedness and look forward to growing as moms together.

laura said...

where's the pink in that picture?? no, seriously- what a beautiful girl, inside and out- like her mama! i know the worries you have about teaching karis modesty all too well as the mommy of 2 girls. beth already is telling me that ladies are not dressed modestly in magazines (parenting...not anything terrible) and she's 4! but it is so important to teach our children that we are to reflect the Lord in everything- the way we dress, act, behave, and speak. i can see that God is being glorified in the way that you are raising Karis and i know it is only because of His grace!