Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Peacemaker


Justin asked me to read five books this year. I just finished the first one, it took me longer than I had anticipated, but I will still have plenty of time to read the next four. The book I just finished is called The Peacemaker by Ken Sande. I thought I would give a few things that I learned from it and maybe the book would be of interest to you.

Here are my thoughts:

1. The principles behind being a peacemaker are much the same as being a parent. We desire to live at peace with our children, but we have to teach them about sin and forgiveness, which is what a peacemaker does.

2. Conflict "encourages us to look at conflict as an opportunity to glorify God, serve others, and grow to be like Christ." (p. 31).

3. "If at all possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." (Romans 12:18). There are three types of peace: peace with God, (which can only be attained through the cross, by our acknowledging our sin and our need for a Savior and peace being restored between us and God through Christ's blood), peace with others, and peace with yourself.

4. In order to reconcile conflict with someone, I must search my own heart and "get the log out of my own eye." This is so true when I see my own sin in my children, and God uses them to convict me and cause me to repent of that sin.

5. The practical aspects of how to deal with conflict and what to say are very helpful and have helped me dealing with conflict in my own home.

I would defiently recommend this book to everyone. It is a great resource for anyone who desires to do what God has said, live at peace with all, as much as possible. It also brought me to consider my own heart and how I deal with conflict in my home and with others. I know it will be even more invaluable when my children are older and more conflicts arise between them.
On to book number two: Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges.

2 comments:

BoldLion said...

I agree with you on this! I also wish that I had read this book "a thousand" years ago to have peace within my siblings and my former co-workers at the old job too.

It is also a great book to go back to when dealing with conflict with others and how to solve the problem in Christ's way and to live for Christ and be more Christ-like for other to see.

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

laura said...

thanks for the review. adding this one to my list. oh- i found the milk jug and will be sending it before i loose it again. it was in the play kitchen fridge. makes sense!