Thursday, April 02, 2009

A Lesson in Integrity

Today I went to Target to get a few things. Karis, Noah and I were all ready to leave, they were strapped in and the car was in reverse, when I realized that my bill seemed a lot cheaper than it should have been. I put the car back in park, got out the receipt and noticed that the cashier forgot to charge me for an item. With a small sign, I turned off the car, turned and explained to Karis that we had to go back in the store. This was how the conversation went:

Karis: Mommy, what are you doing, I am ready to go home.
Me: Karis, we have to go back into Target because the I didn't pay for my shirt.
Karis: But Mommy, I am ready to go.
Me: I know, sweet girl, but we have to be honest and if I leave without paying for this shirt, it is like I am stealing it.
Karis: Okay Mommy, but next time just make sure the lady lets you pay for everything.

So, maybe Karis didn't understand what really happened, but at least she got to see what it means to be honest. I didn't feel very excited about having to unload the kids again to go back in, but I knew that I needed to. I am thankful that by God's grace I was able to teach Karis a very small lesson in integrity today. Noah didn't have a clue, all he knew was that he was getting out of his car seat yet again!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I hate it when that happens! Good job going back in and being honest!

Shannon said...

What a witness you set for your children and the cashier. Thank you for sharing this story.

BoldLion said...

What a great example that you are having to share with Karis and for the people at the store to see that you were being honest. You are doing this for Christ. I am sure that this wasn't an accident.

I had this happen to me before but without the kids. I know it is hard job with the kids. Great Job!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion