Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mmm.... a healthy snack that actually tastes good!

Today I decided to try a new recipe. It was a twist on a healthy snack. I got it from one of the many blogs that I go to for new recipes, I am always trying new ways to bring healthy foods to my family. I think this one was a hit, at least for the kids and I, anything that is slightly healthy Justin says is okay!

So without further ado, here it is:

WHOLE WHEAT CINNAMON GRAHAM SQUARES

Ingredients:
6 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used regular oats and blended them in the food processor)
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cup oil ( I used 1 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil)
1 cup cold water

Instructions:
1. In large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil, and water. Mix well, then add to dry ingredients and stir until mixture forms a thick, crumbly/stiff dough.
3. Grease two 10x15 inch jelly roll pans. Put half of the dough on each sheet and press flat, using your fingers or a spatula. Using a pizza cutter or butter knife, slice each sheet into 24 squares.
4. Bake sheets at 400 degrees for 13-18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
5. Remove pans from oven to wire racks, and allow the squares to cool in the pans. Re-slice, remove from pans, and store in air-tight container or bag.

**I actually halved the recipe since we don't need two trays. I hope you enjoy. I sure have, I think I have already eaten at least three squares!

2 comments:

pastor justin said...

It was great babe. I'm looking forward to having some more.

Judy Marquart said...

Thanks Jeanna for the great recipe!! I've tried it, and I think it's great!! Was looking for something more healthy but still tasty so this fit the bill perfectly!!
Judy Marquart
Michelle's aunt in Houston, Texas