Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Parenting in the Pew


I just finished reading this book last night that I graciously receieved from Justin's pastor friend in Texas. Parenting in the Pew is written by Robbie Castleman. She is a mother of two sons and a pastor's wife. I enjoyed reading this book. It is a very easy and practical read. Castleman gives examples from her own experiences with her boys in worship, and she continually offers suggestions on how to train your children to understand the importance of worship from an early age. She makes a very good point when she says that as parents we are to teach our children why we come to worship and not just teach them to be quiet. We are to model for them how important worship is to us so that they too will realize their need to exalt our Savior.
This book is a very good read if you are planning to start training your child in worship no matter what age. I do not agree with all of Castleman's ideas about training your child to really listen to the sermon. I think that allowing a young child paper and a pen, pencil, or crayons gives them the opportunity to draw and eventually write down what the sermon is about. I do understand that Castleman wants to keep distractions away from the child, but even as an adult, taking notes helps me remember and later ponder what the sermon was about.
I also have to remember that Castleman's ideas are for use in a traditonal church setting, which is not what we have right now at Christ Baptist.
I am thankful for this book to give me yet another resource to help aide me in my training of Karis in worship. I would recommend this book.

2 comments:

laura said...

thanks for the book review- i need to put that one on my wish list! i agree with the coloring, etc. idea that you had- i have found that beth's pictures that she draws during evening "big church" often reflect what the sermon is about- even though she's five. it's a joy to see how she learns. we also allow her to look at her picture Bible- even if it's not the same passage since it's a story book type Bible, she is learning about the Lord. hope your weekend was wonderful. Sam is continuing to improve- I'll call you tomorrow in between NICU visits. love you!

Courtney said...

The book sounds really interesting. I wonder what age she thinks children are able to join their parents in "big" church? I'll have to check that out when Andrew gets a little older.