Monday, May 25, 2009

Respectable Sins

Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges was both convicting and encouraging. It was convicting because it opened my eyes to many sins in my own life, and it was encouraging because it reminded me over and over that Christ, my Savior, died for these sins and will and has forgiven me.

Bridges gives us five helpful directions for dealing with sin:
1. We must address our sin in the context of the gospel
2. We must learn to rely on the enabling power of the Holy Spirit.
3. While depending on the Holy Spirit, we must at the same time recognize our responsibility to diligently pursue all practical steps for dealing with our sins.
4. We must identify specific areas of acceptable sins.
5. We should bring to bear specific applicable Scriptures to each of our subtle sins.

After Bridges gives us these practical steps of dealing with our sins, he writes a chapter about each one of these acceptable sins: ungodliness, anxiety and frustration, discontentment, unthankfulness, pride, selfishness, lack of self-control, anger, judgemental ism, envy, jealousy, sins of the tongue, and worldliness. Wow, this is a long list, and to be quite honest, I found in my own heart that I had to deal with almost all of them. God was gracious to continue to remind me that my sanctification is a process and it takes time. God is slowly and graciously helping me put to death these respectable sins in my life, it is a life long process, and I am grateful for this book. It opened my eyes to sins that I didn't even realize I was committing.

I would recommend this book to everyone. It woke me up in many areas of sin in my life and reminded me again of "my need for the gospel everyday of my life." I am thankful that my Savior is not through with me yet and that my sins yesterday, today and tomorrow are already forgiven. Why wouldn't I desire to please and honor Him by doing everything possible to not sin against my Precious, Loving Savior?

1 comment:

BoldLion said...

Thank you for sharing this! I will need to add this book onto my forever growing list of books that I need to read!

I too need to get rid of sins that isn't pleasing to Him. I want to please Him more and more daily. I am so thankful for the Cross and Christ. Without Him, I am nothing!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion