Monday, February 09, 2009

Convictions and Praises

"In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; for the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God." John 16:26-27

Last night at care group, we discussed what it means to truly believe that the Father loves us. Jesus is talking to his disciples in the last hours before He faces the cross, and He is comforting and encouraging them. What a great Savior, He is looking death and God's wrath in the face, and He chooses to use the last hours to comfort and encourage His disciples.
I was very convicted of my own lack of contentment and joy in my circumstances. God has been slowly and patiently teaching me how selfish and vain I am. I have been dealing with some mild acne problems for about three months now, and God is teaching me that my self worth is in him, not what I look like on the outside but how He is changing me on the inside. I have been convicted of own lack of joy in my circumstances, no matter what they are. Christ is about to face the cross and He is choosing to think about others, not Himself. What a novel concept!
I pray that God would continue to show me own selfishness as I trust in the promise: that the Father loves me. I really couldn't ask for anything more than the love of the God of the universe!

On another note, God has also rewarded my obedience. My Memaw is turning 90 years old in March, and my parents are throwing her a big party. I had prayed that I would be able to fly down to Texas to go to the party, because she will only turn 90 once! Also, my Memaw is a very special lady, a woman who displays God's love and the gospel through prayer and love for her family. I have never known a more praying and God-seeking woman than my Memaw. She is an inspiration and great example to me. I pray that one day, I too, would be able to leave a legacy behind like she will, "well done good faithful servant."
After many discussions and pleading with God, my husband decided it just wasn't going to work out. God gave me a sense of peace and submission to husband. Last week, my mom called and said that one of her friends would give us two stand by tickets so Karis, Noah, and I could come to the party. I was shocked and awed by God's gift! It was the last thing I expected. Now, I will get to spend an extra week with my family and see Justin's family, instead of being home alone with the kids for a week. Justin will be gone to his spring retreat the same week we are gone. God is good! What an amazing and loving God we serve, one who is convicting me of sin and yet giving me my heart's desire!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanna,

Thank you for being so real about what you have been going through. I am still praying.

I am excited for you, Karis and Noah as you get to spend time with your family. Have fun!

We hope to see you guys again soon.

BoldLion said...

We all miss you so much on Sunday! I will be praying that you will have a wonderful time with your family in Texas!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your conviction and what the Lord is teaching you!
So happy that you are able to be a part of your grandma's b-day! What a joy it will be for her to have you and kids there! Miss you!
Are you going to the SG conference in April w/ Justin? You REALLY should try to come too..it will be great! I will be there with Rob and Asher!