Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fun Around the House

This month I am trying really hard to stay in the budget, it seems that every month I always go over, even when we are out of town. I keep wondering where all the money goes? I have been more diligent about staying home more and trying to be creative about what we do. Karis has had a good time playing in her fort (these where always a hit when I was growing up). Karis enjoyed reading all her books in her fort and tried taking a nap in it but that didn't work.
Noah has recently become intrigued with Calvin. He is always intently watching Calvin, trying to find the right time to pull up on him or grab him! It is very amusing to watch Noah interact with Calvin. I am so thankful that Calvin is so good with Noah, just like he was with Karis.


Karis' photographer debut. What a sweet close up of her brother!!

Karis decided that her feet were cold one day, it was only 98 degrees outside!

Noah and Calvin interacting through the door.

Karis reading in her fort. I am so glad she enjoys reading as much as her parents do!
Karis and I are starting our fun "school" this week. I am ready to be on a bit of a routine. We will still go to the pool a few more times before it closes, and do a few more fun summer activities.
God has really been teaching me these last few weeks. I get so overwhelmed thinking of how to "school" Karis. I don't have these manipulative's, I don't know what to do, I can't do this, why is it so hard to think of an activity for a three year old, etc. I have really had to lay down my perfectionist side and realize that Karis is only three. Doing something is better than doing nothing. Sometimes I just want to be more creative and have other talents than I have. I have to remind myself that I can learn new things and that my talents can aid in that, I just have to be patient and willing to try new things. I am thankful for the talents the Lord has given me, and I am continuing to learn how use them in different ways.

4 comments:

laura said...

you are doing great with Karis- she is in a fort reading! what more could you ask for? manipulatives around here: little people, cheerios, dried beans (obviously not for Sam) and whatever i have laying around. i bet justin even has an old shirt or two you could cut shapes or letters out of- for karis to play with. call me sometime- i missed your call yesterday. i'm headed down for a nap right now, but phone is off!

Michelle said...

Yeah, let me reiterate what you already said...Karis is only 3...relax! She is undoubtable ahead of the "game" anyways, so just have fun teaching her and if she's not interested in that particular thing yet, no big deal, try something else. You are doing a wonderful job though! Keep it up!

The Taras' said...

Playdoh and shaving cream on the table! That is always fun!!!

I am in a similar boat with Naomi. She is 4, but she really wants to have "school". She does letter and number dot to dot pages and colors them. (prewriting skills) I was all worried about making sure that she was learning enough- and I realize...she isn't even in Kindergarden yet!!!! So we just have fun and we don't even have school every single day. Maybe 3 days a week. She learned the months, days of the week, shapes, numbers...stuff like that. But I have to remind myself that there is no rush!!! Just giving her something to do that she enjoys- and learns something in the process is good!

Your kiddo's are beautiful! Looks like you guys have a lot of fun! :)

Anonymous said...

you are way too hard on yourself. You have many great talents and sometimes it's just hard to see them for yourself. Reading is one of the most important things to do with your child at this age. You don't realize it, but they learn everyday. Look at her imagination at work playing in that cool fort. Keep doing what you're doing!

I know how you feel on the budget. It doesn't help that grocery's prices keep going up. I seem to go to the grocery story at least 3 times a week. Maybe I need to find some cheaper dinner alternatives!