Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Christmas, Birthday,and Special Valentine's Dates

So life in the Childers' household has been a little chaotic these last few months. This is my first opportunity to post since our lives have literally been turned upside down. (later post coming on this.)

For the first time ever, we drove to Texas for Christmas!  It was a LONG trip, but a good one.  The kids did amazing, and the dual screen DVD player was a big help.  We had all these great plans of taking a picture at every state sign, but most the signs were not located in safe places to even get out of the car.  The only on we did seem to get was Louisiana.  We spent our first night in Mobile, AL and then made it to Orange the next day right after lunch.  

We spent four days with Justin's family, and I had a traumatic experience involving running and four dog bites. Long story short: I was out running and got attacked by a dog.  It is still a little fuzzy as to what happened, but in the course of a few minutes, I finally kicked the dog hard enough to get away and call for help.  I had to go to the ER for a tetanus shot and get all my wounds cleaned.  Through this whole experience, I was reminded of God's faithfulness and peace and was taken very good care of by my husband and in-laws.  It has been almost 4 months since it happened and my "dog alarm" still goes off every time I hear one bark when I am running.  Thankfully, it has not stopped me from doing something I so enjoy, but I will be honest enough to say that I have found myself quoting Psalm 56:3-4 often, (bold are my changing the words)

"When I am afraid I will trust in You,
In God whose word I praise,
In God I trust, I will not be afraid,
What can mortal man (a dog) do to me?"


While I was recuperating, the kids, Justin, and the in-laws had a lot of Christmas fun.  We also celebrated Noah's birthday again.






We went to my parents for a few days, and Karis played basketball for hours.  We had some competitive games against adults and enjoyed it all so much.






Noah, Brooklynn, and Karis

We decided to drive all the way home without staying somewhere.  It was a hard drive through the night, but we made it!  We celebrated at our house on Christmas eve and morning.  There were some interesting gifts and some very unexpected ones too!




Karis also had birthday!  She turned 8!  Again, I am always floored to realize another year has gone by.  She  is growing so much in her love of  helping me around the house, cooking with me, her diligence in doing school, and her ability to talk to others.  She makes me smile, laugh, and I realize how much she acts more and more like me, Ahh!  She brightens my day with her hugs, love, and hopping everywhere!




Upon her request, we stayed home most of the day.  We ate her favorite meal and then dinner at Moe's.  



She wanted a Chronicle of Narnia cake, so this was the best I could do.  We had some friends over for cake, and the kids got to play together.  


Last, but certainly not least, we decided to take the kids out of special dates for Valentine's.  Justin had planned on taking Karis to a special meal at Chick-fil-A, but we were out of town.  We both took our dates out to their favorite restaurants.  Noah was so funny as he held the door for me and tried to pull out my chair. A great memory for sure.



All dressed up for their date!  I love this picture.  It reminds me so much of my dad and me.  I am so thankful that Karis is able to have a relationship with Justin like I do with my Dad.  God is good!




My little man taking me out on the town!


No comments: