Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Who am I?

I have been thinking a lot lately about who I am in Christ. Reading, Because He Loves Me, is reminding me of finding my worth and success only in Christ and what He has done for me on the cross. All of my accomplishments and successes are only that because Christ has paid my penalty of sin on the cross, what a freeing and challenging truth to mediate on daily. It is freeing because it reminds me that my self-esteem, self-worth, and self-love can only truly be found at the cross. The gospel should bring all these to light as only found in my Savior who loves me. It is challenging because it reminds me that ALL things are related to the gospel.
My identity for most of my life has been found in relation to someone else. I was "Coach Adams' daughter, Shawn's sister, Mrs. Adams daughter, Jeanna the athlete, then I became Justin's wife, for awhile I was Coach Childers' teacher/coach for two years, then I returned to Justin's wife, Karis' mom, and now I am the pastor's wife, and Karis and Noah's mom."
My identity is still in someone else, Christ. Every dirty diaper I change, every time I discipline my child, every dish I wash, bathroom I clean, floor I mop, etc, these are all things that I do bearing the identity in Christ. If my day seems mundane or ordinary, it is because I have allowed the world to try and dictate who I am and not who Christ says I am.
I am so thankful to be able to go to the Word to remind me who I am:

"Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin." (Romans 4:7-8)

Christ Jesus is the one who died-more than that, who was raised-who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. (Romans 8:34)

... and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that...he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. (Eph. 2:6-7

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. I this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:9-10)

These are only a few verses that have really reminded me of who I am in Christ and what His love has done for us. Sometimes staying home and raising my children leave me to feel like I do not have a my own identity, I am only the wife, mom, maid, cook, disciplinarian, etc., but Christ is my all, so I don't need any other identity but His. Hallelujah, what a Savior!!

7 comments:

pastor justin said...

Excellent post. Thanks for preaching the gospel to us this afternoon.

Shannon said...

AMEN!!!

bethsessoms said...

Thanks, that is so encouraging.

Lori said...

Thank you for sharing. God has been faithful to remind me of this very truth just this week, as I have also recently been tempted to allow the world to dictate my worth. I look forward to catching up with you.

BoldLion said...

Yes! Thank you for sharing this! We all need reminder of who are we in Christ!

In Christ,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Michelle said...

Good word my friend! I can't wait to get my hands on that book as well! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that..

Can't wait to read the book for myself..